SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is ... Read moreabout the condition
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- SHIMANO Deore M6000 2x10 Speed MTB Full Groups M6000 Brake Set&redors 170MM 17MM
- THE NORTH FACET0CG71WXN_POLO-PIQUET-TURKISH-SEA TSHIRT MAGLIA polo blue men
- VINTAGE COLEMAN 2 GALLON WATER JUG COOLER GREEN COLOR PICNIC
- Hanwag Trekking shoes Tatra II Wide Leather Size 6,5 - 40
- Lamson Force SL Series II Fly Reel - 2 w Fly Line Credit
- Multi Listing Rio Skagit Series In Touch GameChanger Spey Salmon Fly Lines
- ORVIS Helios ZG 8'6' 4wt. Mid Flex Fly Fishing Rod. Unused.
- Rio- Rio Mainstream Trout Fly Line- WF3F- Lemon Green- NIB
- Shimano Corvalus 400, Round Baitcast Fishing Reel, Right hand, CVL400
- SUNICE Youth Boys Snowboard Snow Ski Pants Zoe Technical SZ 12 Ink bluee Ext Hem
- Trident Outrigger Stylish Rod Holder,Triple Rod Holder Kite Fishing Mount-3 Tube
- 10 20 30M 12mm Parachute Cord Lanyard Rope 7-Strand Nylon Survival Outdoor J5Z2
- 2015 NWT MENS HOWL SEXTON MITTENS 95 navy bluee goatskin leather fleece liner
- 20 Cinema 777 BMX Wheelset 9t LHD Male Pair - Yellow Anodized - Sealed
- Attacco manubrio zero1 80mm black AT90N80 DEDA ELEMENTI scatto fisso pista
- Basketweave Tooled 3 4'' One Ear Headstall
- Campagnolo TITANIUM 9 speed Cassette Cog 12t EXA-Drive Vintage Bike NOS
- DT Swiss XD FH conversion kit, 240s 350 10x135 T-B
- Mavic Open Pro 622x15 w Continental Ultrasport Tire
- NIKE PRO HYPERWARM AEROLOFT TIGHTS SIZE XL 859747-010
- Prologo Saddle Nago X10 Cpc Airing Tirox 134 Bk - NAX1TN0HBC8-AM
- Selle sport transam -fabricant VELO
- SRAM X0 3x10 Low Direct Mount - S3 Front Derailleur - Top Pull 44t
- Vintage Conolon Live Fiber Telescopic T451 Medium Action Spinning 6-1 2' Rod-USA
- 2-3 People Outdoor Camping Picnic Cookware Set Aluminium Kettle Pots Portable BB
- Caldene Tuta Pas015 Reithut - brown, Gr. 56 - Horse Riding Hat Juniorkids
- ABUS Smiley 2.0Boys Cycle Helmet, Boys, Smiley 2.0, blueee croco, 50-55 cm
- Campagnolo Shamal Eurus Front Clincher Rim No Labels
- Durable Tire Sealant 32 Standard UST Tires Ounce Seals Sub-Freezing Temperature
- Euredrail Lunel Folding Camping Table Adjustable Aluminium UV Resistant Picnic
- HT-001B Trail Camera 12MP 1080P 30pcs Infrared LEDs Hunting Camera Wild Camera
- LICLI sleeping bag -10 degrees for summer, envelope type, 220cm orange
- New Envelope Type Sleeping Bag for Camping Hiking Outdoor Activities
- PentagonLight X3 Tactical Light - Standard Issue
- Shimano Deore XT M8000 Hydraulic Disc Brake Lever Set + SL-M8000 Shifter Set
- The Ultimate Direction FK Tarp Fast shelter
- Vintage Coleman Camp Stove Oven 5010A 700 Unused With Box & Instructions 1960’s
- Hapison (Hapyson) battery-needle knot unit thin-YH-713 Import Japan
- Jones 36 Floating Titanium Spreader Bar -6 Zuccini Tuna Trolling Offshore
- Megabass LAUDA 58L 33650 Fishing Reel Left Handle Japan Domestic Version New
- NORTHERN LIGHTS Light Up Rattle Reel bluee NLRR-blue
- Quantum Tour KVD 6'10 Medium Fast Spinning Rod TKVDS6104FB
- Shakespeare Outcast Spinning Rod & Reel 6', 2pc Fishng Pole Combo, 6-12Med
- SOUTHBEND FISHING ITEMS-HOOKS-FLOATS-SINKER -alert bell LOT OF 31
- UMBRIA équitation Compensateur Néoprène efet memoire
- XII362 Men Phenix Diaplex Skiing Snowboarding Salopettes 52 W36 L33
- 12 1 2 Schrader Verbogenes Ventil Wagen Innenschlauch Bugaboo Cameleon Frosch
- Asics Gel DS Trainer 22 Womens Running shoes - blueee
- Cane Creek 110 ZS44 28.6 Short Cover Top Headset Red
- Dynafit MS Feline Ultra Men's Trail Running shoes, Dark Denim Legion
- MAXXIS Colossus 26x4.80 120TPI Foldable Exo TR Dual 1515g
- Nitto Aerodynamics 125 Duraluminium Rennrad Lenker, 44.5cm, 25.4mm (23)
- Reebok Crossfit Nano 8.0 Flexweave Womens Training shoes Pink Cushioned Trainers
- 5ft9 Fal Pro Viking Heavyweight Turnout Rug
- Bolle Gravity Ski Goggles Grey and orange Waves Fire orange 35 NIB